Friday, August 3, 2012

The Shame of the Unproductive 112th Congress

Rep. Eric Cantor and Speaker John Boehner

I can't tell you how surprised I was to hear that the 112th Congress was going home without addressing the important work that stands before them.This is what I heard on NPR:
Lawmakers are heading for the exits on Capitol Hill today. They're leaving Washington on a summer recess that stretches until mid-September. They're also leaving behind a big stack of unpaid bills. As a result, there may be no disaster relief for drought-stricken farmers and moves to shore up the nation's cyber security remain in limbo.
If House Speaker John Boehner had any misgivings today about the work Congress is leaving undone, he did not share them at his weekly news conference.
Boehner said "You know, as we head into the district work period, I want to say how proud I am of our members and the work that they've accomplished."

Boehner boasted that by voting last night to extend all of the expiring Bush-era tax cuts for another year, the Republican-run House was what he called the only group in town who've taken action to stop the looming tax hikes. That's because last week the Senate voted to end those tax cuts benefiting the wealthiest 2 percent of taxpayers. House Democrats tried doing the same and failed. Boehner didn't mention that extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich would cost $84 million in revenue to the government and that the other 98% would pay $2000 more in taxes.

In the Senate, a GOP filibuster blocked final action on a bill setting new federal cyber security standards.

 After all, why should I be surprised. On its last day, the House Of Representative's targeted subject matter to make English the national language. No farm bill containing urgently sought drought relief assistance, no decision on the Post Office issues, no efforts to reduce the unemployment rate, no action on cyber security- no wonder the 112th Congress has an approval rating of 9 percent, marking a depth of loathing for Congress never before seen in the history of public opinion polling.  

This Congress is probably the least productive in history. While their goals should be handling the nation's business, Republican leader Mitch McConnell clearly told us what the GOP intended above all else-"to make Barack Obama a one term president".  It's clear that the Republicans put their own political interest before those of our nation once again. We need to vote them out of Congress and make sure they stay at home permanently and elect people that will work to handle America's business, not their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment