Sunday, September 16, 2012

"The American President" Speaks: Movie Wisdom




Here's one of President Obama's remarks from the Democratic National Convention:
"I'm not the same man I was four years ago. I'm no longer just a candidate, I'm the President."

I immediately thought of a scene from one of my favorite movies The American President. Briefly, the 1995 comedy-drama is about a widowed US president (Michael Douglas) and a lobbyist (Annette Bening as Sydney Ellen Wade) who fall in love. Don't worry. It's all aboveboard, but "politics is perception" and sparks fly anyway, stirred by the opposition candidate Senator Bob Rumson (Richard Dreyfuss).

In an important speech, President Shepherd says "America isn't easy. America is advanced leadership."  "America has serious problems to solve and we need serious people to solve them." He says his opponent "simply doesn't understand it".

Since the film's speech addresses issues all right out of the current media headlines, flag burning and all, take a minute to view the clip, them let me know your thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment