Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Most Voters Believe Congress Is Unethical

Surprise, surprise.



Fifty-eight percent of likely voters polled by Pulse Opinion Research for The Hill said most members of Congress are unethical. Just 25 percent endorsed the minority view, that most members are ethical. Seventeen percent of respondents said they were uncertain.

A large majority of those surveyed also said they believe Congress's ethical standards have been deteriorating. Sixty-eight percent of likely voters said the ethics of politicians have declined in recent decades, while just 7 percent said they have improved.

And neither party appears to be out in front on the ethics issue, according to the survey.
When asked to name the party regarded as more trustworthy, 36 percent of survey respondents said "neither." Just 31 percent said Democrats were most trustworthy, with 29 percent holding the same view of Republicans.

For years, Democratic and Republican party leaders have cast themselves as tough on ethics, but ethical scandals continue to dog legislators from both parties.

Unfortunately, I count myself among those who believe Congress is unethical.  The millionaires in Congress, the huge monetary donations from interested parties, the impact of Supreme Court decisions, the outright lies and distortions of fact- all these things seem to sway politicians toward their own vested interested vs positions that are best for the country at large.  The more I read and learn, the less faith I have in national, state, and local leadership. I've resolved myself to the fact that I have only one vote and I make sure I cast it for a choice that I can live with.  Then, I let the chips fall where they may.

No comments:

Post a Comment